- Reduces up to 95% of chlorine
- Reduces chemical absorption and vapor inhalation
- Berkey shower filters typically last (approx.) one year or 20,000 gallons (whichever comes first) before a replacement is needed
- Reduces lime, scale, mold and fungi in showers
- Back flush attachment included to prevent premature clogging. Do not use with Shut-off valve
Details: The Berkey Shower Filter works on a similar principle to a catalytic converter in an automobile. Inside the shower filter, free chlorine is converted into a harmless chloride. The scientific name for this chemical reaction taking place inside the Berkey shower filter is known as "Reduction-Oxidation," commonly referred to as Redox. Redox reactions can be chemically complex. Simply stated, during a Redox reaction electrons are transferred between molecules, creating new elements. For instance, when free chlorine comes in contact with the Berkey filtration media, it is changed into a benign, water-soluble chloride. This reaction changes free-chlorine to a larger chloride element, too large to evaporate or be absorbed by the skin.